Downloads slow to a stop

Hello,

I've been downloading BAM files from GTEx which average around 5 GB each. I've been downloading the files using this protocol: https://anvilproject.org/learn/reference/gtex-v8-free-egress-instructions.

Sometimes when I download these files it'll only take a few minutes. However, other times, the first GB will download quickly, and then the download will continuously slow down until it essentially stops. This makes it impossible to download these files. Is the download being throttled? Is there any way for me to get consistent download times?

Thank you

Hello @gvmichael ,

thank you for your question and welcome to the forum.

We apologize for having troubles while downloading files. We advise to a) try breaking up the manifest into smaller batches (i.e. 4 pieces, and see if it's better, if not, try 8 pieces etc.), and b) not run any automation download scripts as they may cause blocking on our servers. Hope this helps.

Best wishes

I've been running in batches of 1 file at a time, but I have been running an automation download script sending multiple of these requests. I'm guessing that the issue was sending too many requests at once and that the servers don't have enough bandwidth to handle that throughput.

Thank you for your response.

1 Like